The European Patent Office (EPO) has a specific form for entering the European Regional Phase of a Patent Cooperation Treaty patent application (a ‘Euro-PCT’).
The contents of the application must be the same as filed as the PCT application, subject to any amendments made during the PCT stage or amendments provided on entry of the European Regional Phase.
2. European Regional Phase Requirements
To enter the regional phase, a filer must use the Form 1200. On the form the filer must:
• Provide European representative details
• Identify if any amendments or translations are being filed
• Request examination, designate states,
• Identify fees being paid
• Specify what examination should be based on, meaning the PCT application as published or as amended during the PCT stage or as amended on entry.
The form may be filed electronically via the EPO Online Filing software, the EPO case management system (CMS) or the EPO Web-Form filing service. The EPO Online Filing software and CMS require a SmartCard to be used.